when i first started wedding planning, i decided i wanted my wedding colors to be purple and silver. i loved the red and white color combo i’d seen at another wedding several years ago, but i also realized, in my research, that that color scheme was very popular and had become somewhat common. well the hell if i’m not going to be different! as i said in my last post, i wanted to DIY craft everything! the first project i thought to take on was fabric pomanders. all of the tutorials looked easy enough, so i thought i might even switch it up a little and attach my fabric circles to star shaped foam, since the other component of my wedding theme was “fantasy under the stars” (my husband is a big science and astronomy nerd so i had to get stars in there without being too high-school-prom about it!) i started out by hand tracing and cutting small circles out of some purple fabrics i’d collected. when i finished one fabric pattern, i cut up another swatch, intending to do this with another 2 patterns for texture and variety. i spent weeks cutting circles, and to be honest, i was regretting taking on the project! the only reason i didn’t scrap it sooner was that i’d already spent so much money on it, i felt i had to follow through. but then came the dress. ohhhhh that dress! i stepped into that Alfred Angelo number in red and white with long red and silver embroidered train and that was it! i could have gotten it in a shade of purple, but i didn’t like any of the shades offered. and i didn’t like the red either. I LOVED IT!! and so, in the dress shop, in the trial dress, with my parents and grandmother as witness, i switched the wedding colors to red, black, white, and silver. and i scrapped the pomander project. no way was i going to start over with red fabric!
while these pretty purple pansies (i needed something with a p!) are my most recent creations, and what you’ll find on my in-progress Etsy shop, Just the Ends, they were not my first or only endeavors this year.
i began by using some leftover red tulle to create this little pretty. super simple to make, it’s just different size tulle circles, melted around the edges with a candle, and layered on top of each other over a felt circle. i sewed them all together with a little pearlesque button i had laying around. this picture doesn’t do it nearly enough justice, but i did get a lot of compliments on it when i wore it out. my ego blushed and i decided to give some more flowers a try.
st. patty’s day was coming up and i thought, “hey, i can make something festive!” what i actually ended up doing was designing a flower in my head, buying the materials, then letting them all sit in my craft box until about a week ago! and even then my only motivation was so that i could use the left over fabric in a future project with the purple fabric. hah! i’m very proud of how this one turned out though it was not how i had originally intended, and it gave me a little practice with bunching tulle, which i’ve decided is a bit of a pain in the a$$ to work with (but then again, so am i)!
from these simple little projects, i’m learning some crafting basics. hotglueing, placement, hand stitching, how to work with tulle at all, and design. my next project is a tulle tutu skirt for a little girl. again with the tulle! but i have a whole bolt of black tulle left over from the wedding that we never used (thank you Joann coupons!) viola! material for halloween tutus!